Resetting Your QSECOFR Service Tools Password
Published: January 10, 2007
I had to log into Service Tools the other day to do some hardware configuration stuff but the password didn't work. Someone accidentally had tried to log in and disabled the password. How do you get around this?
Mike, you can follow these steps to change the password:
- On the AS/400, log onto a session as QSECOFR. It will not work with any other profile.
- At a command line, type CHGDSTPWD (Change IBM Service Tools Password) and on the Password Parameter type *DEFAULT. Press Enter.
- On the front of your AS/400, you need to change the mode of the box to MANUAL - which the LED panel should now display 02 B.
- Use the white toggle switch and go up until 21 is displayed in the LED panel. Press Enter.
- You should now have a DST (Dedicated Service Tools) screen on your CONSOLE. Go there now.
- Sign onto DST as QSECOFR with the password being QSECOFR. Please note that you cannot use the Cap locks but must use the Shift Key and the password must be capitalized and is case sensitive.
- Change the password to DST now. Please note a few gotchas about the new password:
a. Has to be 6-10 characters long
b. Cannot have repeating characters
c. It is case sensitive
d. Cannot be one of a previous 18 passwords used
- Please note that you should create a "backdoor" userID and password to get into SST. In the event that this happens again, you have a profile to log on and re-enable profiles.
- Change the LED panel on your AS/400 back to NORMAL mode.
Just like magic, you are back in business.
Bob Butcher is a software consultant with over 19 years experience in the AS/400 world. He specializes in client/server applications that deal with the AS/400 and Active Server Pages or Visual Basic. He can be reached at email@example.com.
Post this story to del.icio.us
Post this story to Digg
Post this story to Slashdot
SEQUEL can be used for
virtually ALL business intelligence functions
on the System i, including:
· Executive Dashboards
· Graphical Query & Reporting
· Drill-Down Data Analysis
· Multi-Platform Database Support
· E-Mail Report and File Distribution
· Secure Web Access
SEQUEL is the single solution for all
your business intelligence needs.
Senior Technical Editor: Ted Holt
Technical Editors: Howard Arner, Joe Hertvik, Shannon O'Donnell, Kevin Vandever
Contributing Technical Editors: Joel Cochran, Wayne O. Evans, Raymond Everhart,
Bruce Guetzkow, Brian Kelly, Marc Logemann, David Morris
Publisher and Advertising Director: Jenny Thomas
Advertising Sales Representative: Kim Reed
January 6, 2007: Volume 9, Number 1
December 30, 2006: Volume 8, Number 50
December 23, 2006: Volume 8, Number 49
December 16, 2006: Volume 8, Number 48
December 9, 2006: Volume 8, Number 47
December 2, 2006: Volume 8, Number 46